4.13.2008

It All Began With That Shoe On The Wall

My most recent obsession all began with this delightful post from Spagat about her upcoming trip to Procida, the gorgeous Italian island where they filmed The Talented Mr. Ripley. Then it started to grow when I read this post about a trip to Portland. Then I remembered a vacation spot which seemed like a good idea at the time, but would be a much better idea now that my daughter is older. And, just like that...the vacation obsession is born. I've planned about 60 in my head since Friday. One includes an amtrak up the west coast.

I've planned a weekend in my mind to Maine and trips to Bainbridge Island. And to the Greek Isles and Hawaii. Or back here to my favorite place.
And just for kicks, check out this place in the Maldives.

There are so few consecutive blank days on the calendar this summer, that I'm desperate to find a break in the work. We've looked at places close by and places far and I'm still coming up with not enough of something to make it happen. I'll keep looking.

Where ever it is, I hope it will be a new adventure, have salty air, a little bookstore, sandy paths and time to read, and carve out a space for just us.

In the meantime, maybe I will plot these imaginary vacations on the calendar and during those weeks, eat food that would be local to that area, play music from the region.

Where are you going this summer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, now you've opened up the mass of that wishin' quadrant of my brain. It's overgrown, I think, from the stimulus of fairly regular trips to Ireland over the last two years--six months goes by and I'm not taking off again...my feet get awfully itchy.

I'm teaching a MWF course this summer and we're trying to pay off the car before we take the plunge into babyville, so if we do go anywhere, it will be close and cheap. Fortunately, Saugatuck is nearby, as well as any number of lakeside towns and deserted beaches that have the most important qualities of quiet, sun, sand, and water. The summer Saturdays we spend at the beach are the key to making it through the winter here.

If I had a bit more time and money on hand, I'd start on that list of friends I need to visit who were kind enough to move to places I've never seen, starting with Boston and Vancouver.

Transactionista said...

We are going to the Outer Banks, Ocracoke Island to be specific, as is our wedding anniversary tradition. You guys should go one day...it really is a little piece of heaven on earth.