8.03.2008

Avenue Montaigne

I stumbled upon the movie Avenue Montaigne last weekend on the Sundance Channel and it was really lovely. Here's a link to the apple trailer, but honestly, I think it's better to go in fresh. It's perfect for your Netflix cue.

Without spoiling anything, I can tell you that there's one scene where a famous pianist plays for patients in a hospital and in that moment, feels more connected to his music than he has in years. It was a scene that I wish I would have paused and watched again.

It's a moment a lot of us can relate to: when you stop and realize why you began down a certain path, what drew you to where you are, and how you never could have anticipated that your passion would lead you to where you are standing right now. The actor does this beautiful job of expressing, without words really, that this is exactly what he loves about music and life and how distant those things have become from his work life. I felt like I was sitting beside him at the piano and I felt a little light come in.

I love it when art can do that.

C'est si bon.

PS: StatCounter tells me that many of you out there reading are from French-speaking areas of Canada. Salut mes amis! Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

FCP said...

Ohhh yes...I love those moments when art shines a light and leads us to a recognition of ourselves. I suspect that light and the universal connection is always present, but the noise of the world has a way of casting a pretty big shadow.
You may not know it, but your thoughtful words here and in Skirt! are a beacon of light - I am honored to "sit beside" you at the piano.
Faye