4.29.2007

Fighting Fires

Cookie Magazine mentioned this family's blog in this month's editor's note. http://www.princeliamthebrave.blogspot.com/ This little boy is close to my daughter's age and I believe they would be fast friends. They share a keen interest in cheese puffs, Curious George (who they both refer to as "George Monkey") and firefighters. This is his parents' courageous blog to update friends and family of his brave, and I believe winning, cancer fight.

As a believer in the power of prayer, I wanted to pass along their blog with hopes that more people will say a prayer for this little man and for his family. In their most recent post, they write:

"I know in my head that the medicine is working. I know in my heart that the prayers, positive thoughts, blessings, healing crystals, blessed figurines, good wishes and meditations are also working. A friend is making 40 loaves of Challah bread this weekend with a group of women from her synagogue in honor of Liam. It's an old Jewish tradition that brings good health to those in need. We are honored that they would make such a commitment of time for a child whose parents aren't a member of their community. But again, it takes a community the size of New York to heal a sick child."

I am so moved by people doing what they know how to do to effectuate change and lift people out of crisis.

As I child I remember visiting my grandmother (who passed away in 1995) and hearing her in the kitchen at 3:00 am brewing coffee to pour into thermoses and making sandwiches, wrapping each one in wax paper. It wasn't until morning that I learned that a furniture factory caught fire in the night causing chemical explosions and that fire departments from all of the surrounding counties had come together to fight the fire. My grandfather packed up her sandwiches and coffee and took them to the firefighters to eat during breaks to give them strength to keep fighting the fire all through the night.

It's such a vivid memory for me because I was so impressed by her ingenuity. She knew she could do something in her own way to make a difference and she did it without hesitation. She saw a need beyond the flames. Women in church basements and sewing circles around the world have done this for centuries. When everyone is scrambling, they are finding ways to solve problems, bring comfort, and organize the madness.

We're all part of the same community. If only we could each use our skills, even in small ways, to help each other. Perhaps it does take a city the size of New York to heal a child. But with the internet, a global community as big as the ocean, just think of the great that we could do for our children. 40 loaves of Challah bread to you and your children and good health.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're so sweet. so so sweet.