9.03.2007

Something New

This month's Cookie, has a fascinating article about an American family living in Marrakech. The mom featured in the article, Julie Klear, talked about how hard it is to be so far away from family and to be raising children in a place, "without dance classes and children's museums as we know them, let alone Gymboree." My favorite quote from the article:

"I didn't have pointers for how to raise a child in this culture. Then I stopped thinking about what Morroco doesn't have and started thinking about what it does have." The family takes advantage of the Atlas Mountains where the kids can ride donkeys, and the flamingos and tide pools of the Atlantic beach. I love that. I'm so inspired by that kind of courage and creativity.

Whether it's Marrakech or Memphis, it's so much easier to focus on what is lacking in a community than the things that make it unique. I'm off to try to find something special and new in my community that my daughter will enjoy. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: