3.17.2009

Brothers, Freddy Mercury & Bears

I lucked in to so many blessings when I married my husband, including two amazing brothers. As the youngest of three girls, I didn't know much about brothers. Now, I can say with certainty, brothers are awesome and it's so great to be part of their lives. They have both been great friends to me and never made me feel apart from what they have, which is so generous.

I asked Brother James (19) which Queen album to check out and received the following thoughtful response (reprinted here with permission):

That's a tough question.

Here are my top 5 favorite queen albums:

5. Hot Space (1982) - This album was panned by most of Queens fans for
it's disco style, but I learned to like it. Back Chat is a great track.

4. Queen (1973) - Their debut album. Hard to beat the original gangster.

3. News of the World (1977) - In my opinion, Queen's most overplayed
songs like "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" are both on this album. But a few very underrated songs like "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" and "Fight From the Inside" are also included.

2. A Day at the Races (1976) - This album has the highest
concentration of hit songs by Queen (Somebody to Love, Tie your mother down, etc.)

1. A Night at the Opera (1975) - This is in my top 5 albums of all time.
My favorite Queen song "Death on Two Legs" is the best hate song ever
(dedicated to their former manager). Need I mention that "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "You're my best friend" are on there?

Choose wisely.
--James


Let us know which one is your favorite. I'm going to have to agree with James and go with A Night at the Opera. Happy listening!

Brother Carson, who does things like offer to hang out with our daughter so we can see a movie, and makes us laugh so hard that red wine sprays across the table, sent me a link to a Clem Snide song called Find Love the other day that the singer wrote for his daughter when she was about my daughter's age that brings me to tears.

"Wrestle bears, bring 'em to their knees,
steal the honey from killer bees
Find love then give it all away."

It's good to have brothers.



3 comments:

~ Denise ~ said...

While I'm not a huge Queen fan, much to my husband's chagrin at times, Bohemian Rhapsody captures my ear every time! There's something about it that is alluring. Why is that? lol ;)

FCP said...

And can you imagine THEIR joy in finding a sister like you? They make you laugh--you make them feel special with your interest, entusiasm, attention, and lovingkindess...Tigger & Pooh, salt & pepper, Wallace & Grommit, chips & salsa, Bert & Ernie, Cuff & Link...ok, I'll stop, but you get the picture. love to all.

A's da said...

Ditto. I don't really listen to Queen but the Boho Rhap takes me back to my favorite Mike Myers/Dana Carvey moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD03b1b8oAA&feature=related