3.03.2009

Sea Shells

"John & Michael often spent summer days on the lagoon with the boys, swimming or floating most of the time, playing games with the mermaids in the water."
-J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan



I just finished this novel The Highest Tide. It's a lovely, quick read if you are craving salt water like I am. I tend to read about winter in the summer, the summer in the winter.

Love this portion of an e.e. cummings poem
Days of Innocence section 5:

"maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose(like a you or a me)

it's always ourselves we find in the sea."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am more of a mountain, forest, lake person .... my dream is of an isolated cabin in the woods.