2.28.2009

Captain's Log: Notes While Speeding Through the Galaxy

My friend Ami sent this poem around on Friday and I wanted to share:

Postcard: October 18/01, NYC


On the subway an old

Polish man takes me in charge,

rides two stops past his own

to make certain I find

the right place to get off. When I try

to thank him, he shakes his head

no, forget it. No one, he says,

should be lost when someone else

knows the way.

-Samuel Green

Thanks so much Ami!

***

And, since it is the weekend, I thought I would share this post from Purl and A Bee featuring the book Weekend Sewing.

I love everything about the post and the featured photos. Must check out this book!

***

Our sump pump gave up on us and thank heaven for good plumbers. I've discovered lots of long lost things {as you do when there is a flood} but mostly they are things that I can let go of to make room for new ideas in my life. I'm realizing the only things I really want to keep are quilts, photographs, books and letters. I can replace the vacuum cleaner, but not the letters between my husband and me or photographs of people I can't call anymore.

***

I've had more inquiries than normal for my little photography shop that could which is exciting. I'm relieved to know that even in hard times, people still want to take in and preserve moments from their present lives.

***

Our girl fell asleep in her big girl bed all by herself last night. Normally I lay down with her until she falls asleep. {I know, I know.} It was something we've talked about for months. I told her she would know when she was ready and, much like a year ago when she decided to give up her pacifiers, last night she decided she was ready. We tucked her in and she was all giggly with "the friends" comprised of Bear, a baby doll, Curious George, and a small lamb. I'm sure the promise of the Ariel Bath toy she spotted the other day was a great motivator. As we listened for her in our room, I thought about what it sounded like as I fell asleep as a child. I remember blue light from the television down that hall. I remember hearing The Tonight Show theme song and the occasional laugh from one of my parents. I wonder what she will remember: soft yellow reading light, typing keys or turning pages or none of that at all.

***

I'm teaching myself how to use Photoshop. Wow. So much to learn. I've put it off for so long thinking that I would rather focus on making each photograph better on its own to limit editing time, but I want to stay in the curve with the industry and see what is out there. I'm loving being able to write on photos. Very cool.




***

We are getting excited about a trip to see my parents by the sea. I can almost smell the salty air, a welcomed change from this:


***
My husband gets credit for telling me about Andrew Bird years ago. The embedded version below of his song Lull has been in my head for about two weeks now. It just keeps coming back. The video is odd, but interesting. He performed a different version of this song here in Lexington at Woodsongs and you can see that performance here. It's amazing to see how he puts it all together and how it must sound inside his head. I wrote this post listening to it.



Lull- by Andrew Byrd


Being alone, it can be quite romantic
Like Jacques Cousteau underneath the Atlantic
A fantastic voyage to parts unknown
Going to depths where the sun's never shone
And I fascinate myself when I'm alone

So I go a little overboard, but hang on to the hull
While I'm airbrushing fantasy art on a life
That's really kind of dull
Oh, I'm in a lull

I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems
Moderation itself can be a kind of extreme
So I joined the congregation
I joined the softball team
I went in for my confirmation
Where incense looks like steam
I start conjugating proverbs
Where once there were nouns
This whole damn rhyme scheme's
Starting to get me down

Oh, I'm in a lull
I'm in a lull

Being alone, it can be quite romantic
Like Jacques Cousteau underneath the Atlantic
A fantastic voyage to parts unknown
Going to depths where the sun's never shone
And I fascinate myself, sure I do
When I'm alone

I'm rambling on rather self-consciously
While I'm stirring these condiments into my tea
And I think I'm so lame, I bet I think this song’s about me
Don't I, don't I, don't I?

I'm in a lull...


***

Sorry for the scattered post. I am so behind. Hope everyone is having a restful weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can find--if you haven't already--a recent Andrew Bird concert on NPR's All Songs Considered concert podcast page.
I also highly recommend Tom Waits' kick-ass concert from the same source, if you're into that sort of thing. That one has me sprawling out on the floor in front of the speakers, all the better to drink it in.

~ Denise ~ said...

I love how you blend your topics into one post. It's much like life, eh? ;)