2.01.2009

Mad Woman


We are finally beginning to thaw out.



After living in this house for six years, it finally hit me {most likely as a result of cabin fever}: my house was built in 1959. My stuff was not.
A-HA!
No wonder I am re-arranging furniture every 6 months to try to get it to fit.

Everything was smaller in 1959.
My over-sized B&N inspired reading chair has no place in this house.

So, I started looking for 1950's modern furnishings that weren't too doctor's officey. Online, they are really expensive. We try to shop locally when we can, and this store here in town is a fabulous place to look at 50's furnishings. The owner is such a delight and genuinely loves her customers and believes in design.
But I can't afford her stuff, either.
It's reasonable, but I like a good bargain. Like 6-pieces-of-furniture-for-less-than-300-bucks-kind-of-bargain.

So, imagine my inner freak-out when I found these pieces at a local vintage shop. They were dusty and scattered all around a warehouse, but I felt like I was like digging up sand dollars. Each piece is small, sturdy and so functional. It is already changing the way we live in the house.

First, I found this 3 x 3 white Herman Miller Eames table for our very tiny kitchen at a true bargain price. We've eaten every meal here and it cost me less than a put-it-together-yourself-Target-special.


I found the chairs too and they look just like these Eames chairs. They are surprisingly comfortable and more importantly, they fit in my house!





I got this table for nothing.




And the coolest 1950s swivel chair that I got for $35 because there is a cigarette burn in the seat. {Of course there's a cigarette burn!} I have never found a comfortable office chair before.
I'm in heaven. I would write more about it, but I realize that I'm starting to sound like Frank Navasky in You've Got Mail going on about his typewriter.

And it's like recycling! My house is so much happier.

6 comments:

The 'Hawk Family said...

Your new digs are too much! So perfect for your space. Good hunting! Teach me!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. There's something so satisfying about getting good pieces for little money and I always feel like I've done good to the world for buying "used" instead of something brand new.

FCP said...

Very cool--I love the colors, a wonderful injection of chi.
Faye

~ Denise ~ said...

Nice shopping! ;)

Transactionista said...

LOVE the new stuff. i just was coming around to the same realization about our bungalow when we sold it. ah, lessons learned.

Anonymous said...

i love it too! i love a bargain and i love the feeling of using used.