2.13.2009

Valentines

My husband brought home several bound volumes of magazines from 1959 {there are perks to dating a guy who knows his way around all of the special collection libraries}. There is nothing hotter than a phone call like this, "hey, I'm in the fine arts library. Can I bring you something?"

SUPER HOT. I embrace my nerdiness.

Anyway, each volume contains an entire year of the publication. I have had the most fun flipping though the pages. My initial goal was to just look at the ads for furniture and decor ideas from 1959 to help refine my searches for stuff for my house, born the same year. But there's a ton of inspiration fodder in each volume.


Tomorrow, these will be due and I'm trading them in for Vogue and the second volume of Mademoiselle for 1959 and maybe Harpers and....you get the idea.


I love this coat. It would be perfect over a suit for work or a dress for dinner. I mean, damn. It's classic, looks like Halston and, according to the ad, could be mine with the assistance of Marty McFly for like 20 bucks or something. I Googled the designer and did an eBay search for it. Nothing. One coat on Etsy, but it's not the same one.


I love this ad from the NYTimes that promises to put readers, "on top of events wherever they are hatching." It reminds me of Eric Carle books. And the newsprint is so clever. It inspires me to make stationary with paper cut outs.


Love the chair behind her and just being immersed in the blue. The ad was for the bedspread for 10 bucks.

This ad was for a raceway. So clever. But it would make a great Valentine if cropped and printed on pale pink card-stock, served in a silver envelope. Yes.




Another Times ad that ran in The New Yorker.

I love the simplicity of this ad and as Bob Ross would say, "the happy little trees."

I photograph weddings from time to time.
This shot is so great and inspires me to do some kicky engagement shots. I've been wanting to shoot a threshold shot for a while and this photo is so great...innocent with an edge.
The text was, "You get the license...I'll get the Lenox," which is a bit ridiculous and you can tell that the license nor the Lenox was on either of their minds.
I like a good cup and saucer myself, but, come on.


I have been searching for this font -or something like it- for a few months. Can' t you just see Teaworthy written in that font? I love it. I wear Philosophy's Falling In Love and the box has a similar font and I obsess about how to get that font inside my Mac so that my voice can sound all fabulous in it.



This ad promises wool to be the best for knitting. I changed the focal point and cut off her head when I photographed it a.) becauseI think it makes it a better ad and b.) because I dig it.
That could be me there knitting.
It could be you.
We could be knitting that for you.
The possibilities are endless.


Where oh where have all of the LaVerne and Shirley "L"s gone?
I love these "L"s.
L is my favorite letter.
Hands down.


Again, cropped the photo.
Such inspiration for a wedding shot.
I WILL shoot something like this this summer.
Very exciting.


From a Chanel ad of course. Thanks Coco.

Here's to magazines, and chocolate, and passion and insight.

And thanks to my guy who has always been able to see and understand the shape of my heart.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Lovely.

Hoot said...

Girl, I have the coat...or at least one like it, only in camel. It was my Grandma's coat and I was able to keep all her coats when she passed away. I will take a picture and send it your way! I love old magazines! Come to my parent's house sometime, I come from a family of packrats. The garage is full, the study is full. They are everywhere. My mom has built in bookshelves in her garage. Kind of beautiful, kind of sad. The books and magazines are not protected in anyway. Somehow the brown pages make them even better.