2.22.2009

Spring for A Sitter


It is an amazing, haunting film.
The soundtrack is available on itunes for $10 and it is perfect.
I admit that I have had a lifetime crush on so many Indian writers, movies and music, but all crushes aside, this film is special.
We had a rare date night and followed the movie up with a yummy dinner at delicious Masala. The owner told me to tell my friends about it so here you go: Masala. I had samosas and mango juice, tandoori chicken and peshwari naan.
Best I've ever had.

*Caveat: the movie is challenging to watch at times, particularly as a parent. But, it is challenging {I suppose} because it should be.

Leaving the film, we had a conversation about child exploitation. I struggle with how I'm not using my law degree to do anything about it and so many issues I thought I would be working on. I mean look at Ricky Martin - who really does a lot of work in this regard. Maybe that's it: sing your song, do your thing, use your talent in whatever it is that you do and use your resources from your talents to kick some philanthropic ass. I'm working on it.

4 comments:

Ami said...

I LOVE Masala. I think today might be a chicken tikka masala lunch kinda day!

(For Northern Indian, which is completely different, there's a tiny family-run place on Limestone near Two Keys called Banana Leaf. If you havent tried it, you definitely.

thanks for continuing to motivate and inspire! I hope to see you soon.

Ami

~ Denise ~ said...

Ricky Martin?? Who knew? So glad to hear his legacy is more about goodwill than "shake your bon bon" and that he seems to have found a way to use his wealth and name recognition for the good of others. Now, how can we get all of Hollywood to do the same? ;)

Peanut butter's mama said...

Amen!

Oneder Woman said...

Hey T,

I can't tell you how much your kind words meant in response to my "Under Pressure" and "Waiting" posts. Most days I feel barely able to consider myself competent, but reading what you wrote was certainly a boost. I read your "pressure" comment just before going into start the trial, and it gave me such confidence! As I am sure is clear from recent musings, that's something I'm working on. Having great friends who believe in me makes it easier. Love you and your writing.

E