2.14.2009

Swirling In My Heart Today


I watched this TED speech from Elizabeth Gilbert and different things about it keep tumbling around in my mind like fluffy clothes in the dryer.

------

My guy bought the new Andrew Bird album Nobel Beast -we are fans- but this album is really something. I love the interview that aired about it this week on NPR's All Things Considered. He speaks about his creative process in such an interesting way. He can experience synesthesia -seeing color in sounds etc.,-I am convinced he's a genius.

The super haunting/inspiring part about it to me was in the interview, when talks about the inspiration behind his first song on the album, Oh No. He said it was inspired by an upset child sitting behind him on an airplane.

"He just kept saying quietly, 'ohhh nooo. ohhhh nooo.'
He was going home and his mom kept saying, 'we're just going home, honey. It's fine.'
And it wasn't this nails on a chalkboard sound, it was actually a really beautiful kind of mourning sound and I was actually kind of envious of this kid.
I guess everyone's feeling that on the airplane, but it would be total anarchy if we all were as expressive as the average 4-year-old."
-------

We sat at a table this morning at Doodles {my new favorite brunch spot} next to a young guy eating alone, reading the paper. Each time our girl would try to tilt her chair back, he would almost jump up to catch her. We were right there, talked to her about being careful, repositioned her chair and so on, but I felt bad for this guy who was just trying to have breakfast and not worry, but you could tell he couldn't help it. {It reminded me of how I felt going to the beach on my day off when I was lifeguarding at a waterpark. I was constantly scanning and seeing hazards.} He finally told us that he's a pediatric nurse at the children's hospital and it was just habit. He said, "I don't mind even screaming kids. Screaming kids means they are breathing and that they are okay."
It was hard not to hug him.

-------


We iced them together. Yellow cake + chocolate icing = happiness.

---------


I picked up this bamboo salad bowl at a local shop, Lucia's, but they sell them online here.

----------


That's me, I'm told.

------

Only 2 more days until M. Ward's album Hold Time is released. If you follow the link, you can preview some of the songs. I've been trying to get my hands on the album's first song called For Beginners for months.

No comments: