7.02.2007

C'est Si Bon: Paris, Je T'aime

After two years of Johnson & Johnson, Graco and Pampers, it's hard to remember that before Elmo, my first date with my husband was on the left bank in Paris. Having a child has been a great love affair as well. But it's hard to carve out emotional space and time that is just for the two of us when our hearts are so full of our little girl.

Paris, Je T'aime
reminded me of my first introduction to the love of my life and helped me see Paris from a new vantage point, the same way Amelie did in 2001.

Like a collection of short stories, 18 different directors filmed one piece about love in and with Paris. Each story takes place in a different neighborhood of the city. If one short doesn't speak to you, hang on for 6 minutes or so and it's over and then you are on to the next. It works almost like looking into doll house windows to see moments of love simultaneously happening throughout the city.

Here's the trailer:



If you can't make it to the theater, here are links to a few of the stories in their entirety. Thanks YouTube. Wes Craven, of all people, has one of the sweetest stories, but I couldn't find a link to it.

Here are 3 of the 18.

1. Alexander Payne's 14th Arrondissement. I love this one. Her French sounds about like mine.
2. Tom Tykwer's Faubourg Saint-Denis.
3. Gurinder Chadha's (sorry, no English sub-titles) Quais de Seine.

PS: The beautiful song in the trailer available in French (La Meme Histoire) or English (We're All In the Dance) is from Feist.

No comments: