7.26.2007

Organizing for the Type A

Organize Magazine Editor-in-Chief Joyce Dorny was kind to leave a comment a few posts back and I must tell you that I have read and re-read the premiere issue of Organize a few times now and have cruised their interactive site a good bit and I am so excited about this magazine.



I'm the first to admit that I am a label making, borderline OCD, alphabetizing, categorizing nut, so it's probably no surprise that this magazine would be a fave** but as such, I've picked up lots of these kinds of publications in the past and this one is truly unique. Here's why:

First, Joyce has started this magazine from the ground up and is the mother of 1-2-3-4-5-6, I repeat SIX children, so she must be the Zen master of organization. She brings humility and the genuine, real world experience to the conversation that has been missing. Other organization guides would have me hire a maid and build expensive-can't-move-with-me built-in-shelves in every room. Can't do it. Next. But Organize had some tangible, do-able advice on any budget without the condescension. And the ads are sparse but relevant.

I know life would be easier and more organized if we paid people to do lots of homeowner things for us like housekeeping and yard work. But what about those of us who budget with a different priority set, but still aspire to minimize the chaos? I'm hopeful that Organize Magazine will continue to offer some suggestions.

I have yet to assimilate the Little Tykes, Brio, Fisher Price mine field into the house. They are everywhere. I'm still polling girlfriends with small kiddos about how they are maintaining their sanity. Two girlfriends so far have suggested getting rid of as much stuff as possible and then initiating a separate container for every toy or group of toys. A home for everything. This is the seemingly unattainable goal, but I am willing to try. The Berenstain Bears and The Messy Room was my favorite book growing up because of that last page, with all of the labeled containers holding Brother and Sister Bear's toys. Even now, I get a warm, safe and comforting feeling just thinking about it.

**My favorite holiday tradition is re-organizing my loved ones' closets. Seriously.

No comments: