3.07.2008

Shiny Sparkly Treasures


I bought this Cold Toes, Warm Heart print from Emily Martin's Store, The Black Apple, on Etsy a while back and have since followed the creative blog kept by the artist.

(The quilt reminds me of one my husband's great-grandmother made. The girl reminds me of my sisters and my favorite Little House books from my childhood. Remember that story in Little House in the Big Woods -I think- about the outdoor bath tub under the stars over warm coals with a quilt hanging just over the top of the bath to keep that warm water in? Just me? Okay, nevermind...)

Things are really starting to take off for this artist with an upcoming March 11, 2008 appearance on Martha. Her post today about a collection of buttons is absolutely lovely and reminds me of an interview I once read with Minnie Driver where she said that she is like a magpie filling her home with shiny things. I love that treasures can come in many forms.

This morning, my daughter sat on my dresser going through my big chunky beaded necklaces (most of them Target and flea market purchases over the years). She is at an age where rocks and marbles, and large beads are precious gems. It's all about texture and color for her. She pitched an expensive item on the floor to get to cheap stuff that feels better in your hands. I want to get back to that. I think I need to take her jewelry shopping. Or maybe go for some buttons.

No comments: