7.09.2009

Waiting for this moment to arise

On the cover of our wedding program, I asked them to print Blackbird lyrics. It probably seemed like an odd choice for a wedding, but it was perfect for us. We were together 4 years before our wedding day and during the planning, I kept hearing in my head, "All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise."

I love this version of the song, taken from the album McCartney, because you can hear Paul's toe tapping and Linda open a door in another room of their house where he was recording. Her with her camera, him with his guitar, in their little cottage.




They felt like home to us. My husband even had a coat just like the one Paul has his little baby in when we met eleven years ago. And that photograph on the back of the album with the baby face in magic hour has been my favorite since I bought her book of photography called Sixties as a high schooler. We listened to that record, the one with the cherries on the cover and Linda's magic hour photos inside, a million times. We listened to that record during times when our visits were sandwiched between Fridays and Sundays because we lived so far apart and didn't know if we would ever be in the same place at once.










The beatles BlackBird (répétition)

I loved what seemed quiet and peaceful about their life together. Now I realize that I've been waiting for THIS moment to arise, too. And that it has. I see how so much of their story has influenced ours. Eleven years later, we live in a little cottage with a baby girl and a dog and cat and cameras and books and music. I realize now that we already have all that we dreamed of. We have our tea in the afternoon and I can hear his toe tapping to music as he types with headphones on. Our story built on theirs and so many others. I have to think this is what love stories do for us. We build on them and dream with them.

I've been blessed to photograph many weddings now. But Saturday's will be the first one that I have been with the couple since their engagement began and I am so happy for these very special people. New love stories are being told and stitched together with different songs and light and experiences and each one I capture becomes part of my story, too. And yours.


On their wedding day.

5 comments:

Hoot said...

Blackbird was the first song Shawn played for me on his guitar during one of our all night gab fests. It was also the first song he played to A when she was born. So perfect.

A's da said...

I suspect I will still need you, and feed you with my delicious cooking, when you're sixty-four. Smiles.

FCP said...

When I think of Paul and Linda, I think of the lyrics from "I Will" where he sings "And when at last I find you, your song will fill the air..." (LOVE that) He once said "Every song I write, I write for Linda" and it just doesn't get any better than hearing his beautiful voice sing:
"Love you forever and forever, love you with all my heart.
Love you whenever we're together, love you when we're apart"

shelby healey said...

What a lovely post. I'm glad I stopped by tonight to catch it, so touching. And thank you so much for featuring my work a little while back!

boatbaby said...

I LOVE Paul. I LOVE Blackbird. I love that album and that photo and knew what you were talking about before I even scrolled down and saw the photo.