1.12.2008

I have so much to tell you...

I have a log-jam of things I have been meaning to blog about, so here they are in no particular order:

On a recent trip to Chicago, my daughter and I shared a table at Corner Bakery with the sweetest couple and their 10-year-old twins from St. Paul, MN. Lovely lovely people who gave us great tips about the many museums and sites. But what was most enchanting to me was their story of how they arrived for the holidays. The day after Christmas, they boarded an Amtrak train at 8:00 a.m., and as the mom described, "snow was falling and we read books, had snacks, and took naps, the train went by the lake" and at 4:00 p.m., they were in Chicago ready to take a swim in the 1920's art deco style pool at the Intercontinental Hotel. Doesn't that sound magical?



The girls were planning to make scrapbooks of their adventures from their photos. It was a daydream just to chat with them.

---

Grazie mille to the kindest readers in the universe who donated to the the Salvation Army Christmas morning Pajama Project. I am overcome with gratitude. Special thanks to American Apparel for their generous donation as well. Please visit Etsy stores for Faye Christian Phillips and Robin's Egg Pink. They each donated to this wonderful cause! (And, 10% of Faye's proceeds benefit the Kelly Autism Program.)

The little ones were SO excited on Christmas morning and didn't have to use their toy tickets for PJs. Because of your generous donation, every child, most of whom live in shelters, got to choose PJs in addition to their toys and toiletries.

I saw one little guy picking out clothes for his little brother before he ever looked at the Buzz Lightyears or Transformers. What's most amazing about your gift is that it gave children a sense of pride: that they deserve something brand new, in a ribbon, with the tags still on, just for them and in their size. You gave them something warm and clean to sleep in that is theirs, even if they aren't at home, and sent a clear message that they matter.


Because of you, I felt like this. My heart grew three sizes. As my daughter says, "My heart so full." I thank you.

1 comment:

FCP said...

My heart so full, too. Thanks for the update.
FCP