1.27.2008

To Be Heard

That's what we lawyers say when the judge calls a case name in court. We stand up and say, "To be heard." I really struggle with whether or not anyone is ever heard and whether I am hearing the things that will be most pivotal in my life. Am I listening enough?

Looking for Terra Naomi performances to figure out which album to get, I found this young musician covering her and was just blown away. Amazing. Her cover of This is the First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes is great too (and recorded in what appears to be her garage).



Someone give this girl a record deal. I love the posters on her wall and her seriousness and the fact that she closes the door before broadcasting to millions. I love that the ceiling fan is on and that she runs her own camera. But mostly, I love that she puts it out there as honestly and purely as possible. They teach you not to do that - little too loud - too smart - too strong - girls are not supposed to be. I love this because it is so full of everything that it is to be a girl in a time of contradicting expectations. Don't listen to them Meghan. Don't lose that. Be heard.

As an aside, I wish they sold this Terra Naomi cover of Sublime's Santeria, but it's only available on Youtube. She writes this was recorded in their hotel in Castlebar Ireland after a show. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if your into Kaki King or not. Go check her out. myspace.com/kakiking

Amazing stuff. Hope you all are doing well.

Ross