12.31.2008

Cup of Kindness

For weeks those words, "we'll take a cup of kindness yet" from Auld Lang Syne have been stopping by in my thoughts here and there.

I write this blog as a place we can go when we have a moment to unwind and I hope that in it, you also find kindness to put in your cup. I certainly feel blessed by your kindness for reading.



I fear that in 2008, I was spread very thin and only gave espresso shot-sized cups of kindness. I almost forgot to be kind to myself entirely. My hope is that 2009 will be open bar for cups of kindness. Kindness for you and for me, too.



The latest Oprah magazine may be the best issue I've read in years. It has great recommendations for so many things. But what I love most of all about the issue is this candid quote where she writes:

"I have a self-care problem...When I stop and ask myself, What am I really hungry for? the answer is always I'm hungry for balance, I'm hungry to do something other than work. If you look at your overscheduled routine and realize, like I did, that you're just going and going and that your work and obligations have become a substitute for life, then you have no one else to blame. Only you can take the reigns back.

That's what I'm doing. These days I've put myself back on my own priority list...In 2009 dare I, dare all of us give ourselves all the love and care we need to be healthy, to be well, and to be whole?"
Amen.
Ahh, but it is so very hard to execute. I found a quote in my journal written down almost this time last year from Dr. Wayne Dyer:
"By giving yourself free time to read, meditate, exercise and walk with nature, you're inviting the guidance that's waiting patiently to come calling with inspirational messages."
And not to mention the health benefits, both mental and physical.

So, I'm going to try to do a little better in the self-care department and I'm starting by breaking open a bottle of bubbly...

from philosophy, that is.

Whatever our dreams are for our lives this year, let's remind ourselves that anything is possible, particularly when there are bubbles.

happy new you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ditto. i feel the same way. i have a feeling this will be a very different year and that it is my responsibility to make it what i want it to be rather than just let it happen. good for you! all the best.