6.28.2009

Heartbeats


I spent Saturday with a family celebrating their daughter's first birthday. They are the kind of people you wish lived next door so that you could hear them laughing and be waived over for a beer in the afternoon. They are lovely and the village of people they have collected to love this baby are welcomed like family.

We got to see Away We Go and I loved every word. I can't remember the last time I saw something so close to my own experience that I felt like it was just for me. A quiet gift. I'm so grateful for experiences like that. It's the kind of art that steadies me and keeps my heart going at 60 beats per minute.

I picked up the soundtrack and Vendela Vida's book Let The Northern Lights Erase Your Name. The soundtrack is great writing music. I am saving the book for a rainy day.

1 comment:

A's da said...

The best movie I have seen in years. About three quarters of the way in, I started wondering how I was going to be able to tell people about this movie without using a stream of superlatives. Am in the middle of *A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius* as a result -- also very good, but in a different key.

Love your picture.