6.22.2009

Let's pretend we are still at the beach with...

A vacation in a pot:

Poppytalk had a great post about making a Beach Garden in a pot from Sunset Magazine. Just lovely.



Beach Reading:
I am reading Shakespeare Wrote for Money, Nick Hornby's collection of columns for The Believer Magazine and sequel to The Polysyllabic Spree. I am always a little sad when I finish his books. He's the kind of guy you wish you could have over for dinner.

I'm only a few pages into Their Eyes Were Watching God and I'm already underlining beautiful passages. For example, the powerful first lines of the book:



"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men."


My husband has peaked my interest in Kazuo Ishiguro's novels {Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go, A Pale View of Hills etc.} I will let you know.

Pat Conroy's South of Broad comes out August 11th. I spent enough years in Charleston to recognize a character or two in his books, so it's worth a trip to the library to see the latest installment of elite life at the tip of the peninsula.

The new Victoria and Coastal Living Colors issues are beautiful eye candy. Also, this month's O has a great spread on books. Here's a link to their summer reading list. I've noticed several summer reading lists have included Dreaming in Hindi and Are You There Vodka, It's me Chelsey.

Beach House Style
When I go to yard sales, they hardly ever look like the "Tag Sales" where Martha Stewart finds cool beach glass and milk bottle vases. When frustrated by an unsuccessful attempt at finding cheap vintage, eye candy is always available at Farmhouse Wares.

I have been visiting this website for North Carolina's Cottage Chic Store for years.


It is great for window shopping.

What are you reading this summer? Any beach products you can't live without?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

T,
I too fell in love with the language in Their Eyes Were Watching God. I could teach it in my classes - and I still might - especially if I have a class full of girls. I haven't seen the movie of it, but last summer when I read it again, I kept on picturing Halle Berry as Janie - perfect!

Every summer I reread The Poisonwood Bible - and it's getting about that time! The language gets better every time. It just floors me!