7.19.2008

For Your Beach Bag

We're shaking sand out of our bags after my first week off in two years. It was a much needed break. I'm really sad that vacation is over. But, like Grandpa used to say, "I'm blessed with work," so I shouldn't complain.

Here are a few suggestions for your getaway:

I've been on the road a lot lately for work. My beautiful husband made me a mix that I first listened to at 6 a.m. on the way across the state. The first song, To The Stars, is from this album which everyone needs. The orchestration is amazing and the lyrics are like the most genuine love letter.
"Oh my darlin'
Dear I love you to the stars
love you from my heart"
click here to listen or buy.



I just read the new David Sedaris short story collection, When You Are Engulfed In Flames and though there are a few gems (particularly the first story "It's Catching" which made me laugh out loud) many of the stories chronicle awkward moments in travel that lack the depth in personal relationships that set his other work apart. It is worth reading, but if you have to choose just one, pick up his book Dress Your Family In Corduroy & Denim for the beach. A bonus is that you can probably find it on your bookseller's bargain table now.

I picked up these super comfy flip flops that don't hurt your arches.



And, no kidding, I found the most beautiful, fluffy beach towels at Marshalls on the cheap.

Before we left, I downloaded a couple of Yo Gabba Gabba and Backyardigans episodes for the video ipod which was a lifesaver during long waits at restaurants and during travel. It's a lot less cumbersome than the portable DVD player. Also, several PBS shows like Super Y are free podcasts. Check them out on itunes.

I hope you have a vacation scheduled soon, even if it's only to the backyard.

1 comment:

FCP said...

Welcome back. And btw, your blog IS a vacation, if only a mental one - a chance to sit with a cup of tea and ponder.
hugs,
Faye