10.04.2008

Closet Purge




Ahhhh...that's better. Just every other corner of the house left to go.

In the world's tiniest house with the world's tiniest closets, it is imperative to purge the house of things that are not being used every season. This time, I am going about it as aggressively as I can. I am asking myself three questions I picked up from some book on the topic.
1. Is it useful?
2. Is it beautiful?
3. Do I love it?

No to all 3 is an automatic out.

We've taken grocery carts full of books to Half Price Books, a box to children's consignment and a ton of stuff to friends, the Salvation Army and Goodwill. I have another load to go to consignment from my closet and I've only scratched the surface.

There's something about the potential for space in the drawers, air in between the jackets and sweaters. Space. It just helps everything feel less rushed. It's hard not to empty the entire house on the yard and bring back in my new favorite mug from Ikea that I bought for .46 cents, a couple of books, the paintings, and sell the rest.

Just me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We did the closet purge yesterday as well and ended up with two trash bags full of stuff to drop at the Salvation Army, and two trash bags to throw away. I know exactly where you're coming from. I still found myself keeping back a few shirts that weren't good for wearing anymore, but might make good quilt pieces one day. I think it's my one clutter vice...