10.08.2008

On Scandal

When I was at The College 700 miles away, one of my professors, Dr. Simon Lewis (one of the greatest teachers of all time) assigned Susan Bordo's The Slender Body to help explain why a protagonist's anorexia was a reaction to oppression around her. (I think the book was Tsitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditons). Even though it has been more than a decade, I still remember it being a completely fascinating discussion fueled by Bordo's essay.

Now my husband works and studies in the same department as Susan Bordo and she has written something new this week that I find equally fascinating.
Check it out here. She is equally tough on both parties, but raises some good points I think.

I am not a person who votes in elections with blind party loyalty. These are not sporting events where we have to root for the home team every time. I look at the candidates. I don't begrudge anyone for their party affiliation or try to change someone else's vote. But, it bothers me in this election that we have a candidate who calls his wife, calls anyone really, the "c" word. I hope we can expect more for our daughters than to choose a commander-in-chief, or an anything really, who views, speaks to, thinks of women (half of his constituents) in this way. Can't we do better? And I will leave it at that.

1 comment:

Ami said...

All I can say to that is "Wow." And women think he's the one to vote for b/c he has a female vp candidate. Argh.

thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. Ami